Thursday, November 15, 2007

Here's a Bulletin---Students at UNLV are Apathetic

Students are apathetic at UNLV. Well, Duh. I’m so tired of reading about our apathy towards important social issues. If it’s not the Yell, it’s the Review-Journal’s half page article stating an obvious conclusion. Yeah, we aren’t activists. We get it already. We don’t protest the war in Iraq, we don’t chain ourselves to buildings over global warming, and we don’t join in mass to protest the growing tuition hikes that they are trying to stick us with. Considering the incredibly large number of writers, reporters, and professors that feel the overwhelming urge to proclaim our apathy in a glaring flash of the obvious, I find it curious that no one feels the need to ponder why, beyond the fact that “we are a commuter campus.” First of all, what is the one issue that this campus has been ranting and raving about for the last five years if not more? Oh, yeah, PARKING. P-A-R-K-I-N-G. What has been done about this? Nothing. We have made our feelings known quite clearly. This has been a constant theme, perhaps the only thing that has united this campus. The Result: a worse situation than ever. Even in the reports on the debate, on every channel you had at least one student mention parking. Will it really take a sit-in or chaining ourselves to a pole in the parking lot to get results? Because I have to say, after this debate and during the Rodeo Finals, we could get a fair number. I’ve got the chains people, you got the time? (Of course, we couldn’t really do that because Free Speech zones wouldn’t allow us to protest in the parking lot. And nothing inspires student activism like a freakin’ free speech zone.) I propose that this University does not listen to students on the issues we care about and until this changes, I see no reason to beat my head against a brick wall. They are going to do what they want and they have shown repeatedly that we are merely the poor saps that get suckered into paying for it. Pardon me for not living up to the fine example of the hippies and committing vandalism (such as has been suggested as examples we should emulate) in an effort to get my voice heard. Call me an idealist, but if that’s what it takes to get something simple communicated to the Powers That Be, we have a bigger issue than student apathy. I’ve participated in politics actively before I could vote and have been in several of the groups on campus. I’ve gone to political conventions, conferences, and even attended one of the real presidential debates in 2004. So when people ask me why I’m not involved in the political atmosphere on campus, I ask: what’s the point? The University doesn’t listen to us and we get shut out of all the things we are supposed to participate in. Maybe if we thought anyone would listen or care, we would express our opinion. Give me a clue that someone would be receptive to my ideas and I’m there. Until then, I’ve got more productive things to do. Furthermore, excuse me for not getting all fired up about the debate on campus. I’ll grant you, it would be really exciting if it wasn’t for the fact that for the greater part of this campus, the only involvement that is availed to us is watching the debate in the MSU. Forgive me for not becoming all tingly over watching another debate going over the same issues of the last dozens of other televised debates and townhall meetings. The only thing that will separate this one from the others is it will be extremely inconvenient and there will be 20 second spots the flash Vegas. Big whoop de doo. The only benefit I can see the student body is getting out of this is free notepads from CNN. Let’s face it; as much as everyone is in a lather about the presidential elections, this is the primaries. People pace yourselves. While you may favor one politico over another, let’s face it, they’re all democrats. It’s early days yet. I think a total condemnation of an entire college campus is a little premature considering that we aren’t even in an election year. I am thoroughly disgusted with this University, the political trainwreck that is becoming less like a exchange of ideas and more like a mud wrestling match at Beechers, and the so called experts with the their condemnation of my classmates. Yeah, some students might not know what the heck is going on, but at this point I envy their obliviousness. I wish I didn’t know all the problems that are surrounding us. We might not care about campus events, but I came to college to get a degree. If I want social enrichment, I’ll go to a bar. The conversation is better there. If I want to become more socially aware, I’ll google it. Yeah, we are notoriously apathetic. But me? I just don’t care anymore.

0 comments: