Thursday, January 31, 2008

Two posts in one night? Yeah, Insomnia kicks in.

   Ah, with the start of every semester, we have the usual freaking out and hysteria. Getting to where i'm actually sleeping at night instead of living like a vampire. (Hey, I'm sorry but the most interesting things always happen at night) I'm currently in my second week and its safe to say for the first time in my life, I'm, dare I say, completely unable to cope with my classes. I am, as our jewish friends would say, completely Farklempt. I am so utterly sickened by my class schedule, terrified one would even say. Its not the times or days, though dear god why the university studies department has to schedule a class at 8:30, I don't know. It's the topics and the prof's that deeply trouble me.    Currently on my mind is my general lack of enthusiasm about life and/or my cynical nature. Sadly, this will only contribute to what I fear is going to be a very bad semester. First we have my Contemporary American Culture class. Actually, I was looking forward to this one, but now I fear it will be a critique of American Culture class. First on the docket of movies we will watch? Bowling for Columbine. I don't think it is a stretch to say its symptomatic of an American movement that thinks "the world hates us, so what are we doing wrong?" Our college professors tell us the principle of culture relativism that should be applied to every culture, no matter how barbaric, except our own. We aren't allowed to have a set of standards that we could judge a culture on, we are just supposed to believe that the culture is delightful because the culture "has ancient traditions" and "we can't truly judge it without first walking in their shoes." However, no matter the virtues of our own country, no matter how outstanding we are in comparison, we are to be critiqued because Europe is angry with us. Oh and the middle east doesn't like us. Like this is something new. People think it terms of September 11 and forget the middle eastern attacks that we ignored since the carter administration. And I don't care if Europe is angry with us, I'm not too thrilled with Europe. Yeah, I'm going to bite my tongue on this one. At least the professor is fairly cool, though I think he hates teaching that class. You can tell he would rather be doing poetry. But only at UNLV would they put a guy with a doctorate in poetry, who has been published, teaching a research class. I bet he would be a pretty good poetry teacher. And much more professional than Canadian Casanova.    This is on top of the movie I watched last week entitled, Violence in America. Most of which was completely biased liberally, which every class is, and blamed American violence on guns and booze. The last ten minutes was pictures of dead bodies and a little thirty second blip of a man shooting his wife. But that one is my own fault since the class is one on serial killers. Its for my soc requirements and yes, all that blood and death is going to be fairly depressing. However, the biggest worry is geology. I was worried about my sciences anyway but the classes I was put in are disasterous. My lecture prof is from Chile and I only understand every other word. Plus apparently he teaches you all this stuff, 55 slides a class, and then none of it is on the tests. But my lab class is what scares me. I should have known it was going to be a clusterfuck when there was all this mix up before class, but I literally do not understand one word my lab professor says. He has a think accent and mumbles everything. Even when he was standing next to me, he kept having to repeat everything. I just wanted to lay down my head and cry, it was that frustrating. I can't remember being as upset as I was after that class. I'm so very upset still. I'm screwed.

0 comments: